This accessibility statement applies to HM Government’s police recruitment website, www.joiningthepolice.co.uk.
This website is run by HM Government. We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- change colours, contrast levels and fonts.
- zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen.
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard.
- navigate most of the website using speech recognition software.
- listen to most of the website using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver).
We’ve also made the website text as simple as possible to understand.
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
How accessible this website is
We know a small part of this website are not fully accessible:
- A pre-recorded video we feature which is produced by an external partner doesn’t feature captions or an option to view or download a transcript.
Feedback and contact information
If you need information on this website in a different format like accessible PDF, large print, easy read, audio recording or braille:
We’ll consider your request and get back to you in 2 working days.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We’re always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems not listed on this page or think we’re not meeting accessibility requirements, contact email@example.com with details of how we could improve.
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Technical information about this website’s accessibility
HM Government is committed to making www.joiningthepolice.co.uk accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard, due to the non-compliances listed below.
The content listed below is non-accessible for the following reasons:
- On the Role Spotlight – Detective page - https://www.joiningthepolice.co.uk/career-progression/role-spotlight-detective - we feature a video produced by an external partner which doesn’t feature captions for deaf people or the option to view or download a transcript.
Non-compliance with the accessibility regulations
- While pre-recorded videos on the website that we have produced have voiceovers for visually impaired people, captions for deaf people and options to view and/or download a transcript, the website does feature a video produced by external partner that does not currently have these options in place. This fails WCAG 2.1 A success criteria 1.2.3 Audio Description or Media Alternative (pre-recorded) and 1.2.5 Audio Description. We plan to provide the option to view or download a transcript by end Dec 2020.
We do not consider the remaining accessibility issue to be a disproportionate burden to fix and aim to have all outstanding issues rectified by end December 2020.
Content that’s not within the scope of the accessibility regulations
None of the current content on the website falls outside of the scope of the accessibility regulations. We will ensure any new content added meets the regulations.
Preparation of this accessibility statement
This statement was prepared on 13 Oct 2020. It was last reviewed on 13 Oct 2020.
This website was last tested on 17 August 2020. The test was carried out by Nomensa.
We decided to test 10 key pages of the website – these pages were selected as the most likely pages to be visited by a range of people at different stages of their decision-making journey.